Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Feeling unequal to the task of parenting.

Some days are just harder then others, today was one. Daniel woke up in a bad mood and it never really went away. They are both asleep now, they look peaceful and calm. I know in order to teach them, and make things easier for them and me later in life, I have to stand up to those tantrums, but it doesn't make it any easier. I love my kids, and I know they love me. I also know I am doing the best I can for them, and in the end that is all I can do.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know anyone who feels equal to the task of parenting. Goodness knows I don't. I write about it everyday. Feel free to read my insane-ness. Might make you feel better. :) arealdayjob.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Real Day Job is right. People often ask me how I can work and be a good mom. I always respond - work is so much easier than being a mom! Kids don't come with instruction books. The manual is different for each one and always changing with all society's issues. Don't let Satan tell you you're not doing a good enough job. Its all anyone can do - and you do great! Standing up to tantrums, sassy, disrespectfulness, ingratitude (that one gets me) is part of our job. And sometimes this job stinks. Fortunately, the benefits vastly outweigh the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And with Catherine's reference to kids not coming with instruction books, even if they did, they would not read it. I know I use these quotes a lot but, "And it came to pass, not to be." and "Nothing works forever but the mother." You have sweet moments like you did with Elena but most of the battle is uphill. But choose your battles carefully and take time to enjoy the view. We love you. Starting next week, I won't be working for a couple of months and could do some daytime as well as night time babysitting. Give me a call.

    ReplyDelete