Friday, June 19, 2009

Next Phrase

You get what you get and you don't throw a fit!

i had never heard this before, or maybe I did growing up, but don't remember, but now it is used in my house ALL the time. For ex: If you give the yellow plate to Daniel and he starts to wine because he wanted the green one, well, you get what you get, or if you give him the green one and he wines because you didn't give him a fork that was the same color, well, you get what you get, and last but not least, if you give him something different from what Roxy or Lily has, or even different then what Elena has, well, you get what you get and you better not throw a fit! ;-)

I find myself saying it all the time, sounds rather mom-ish, but it works, well it is starting too, so I guess it is my next phrase to live by, it is equally true for adults!

6 comments:

  1. Right along with that one "If you always do what you've always done, you always get what you always got."

    .... so if you don't like what you're getting, CHANGE! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good one mom! I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to start using this phrase. Lydia is one of those annoying kids who has to have a red cup to drink out of the red milk, and a blue one for the blue milk (the color of the lids). And heaven forbid if she wants pink milk, and we don't have any! It's driving me crazy! I find sometimes good parenting is not being done by me because I just don't want to deal with the hardness of it all. And this is one of those things. But you're inspiring me to be better.

    By the way, exciting that you have a blog! And I won't ever give you a hard time about pictures ('cause I'm bad at posting pictures too).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I f you are saying that your kids are starting to get this I might start saying it. And I'm with Thora, I decided long ago that the easy way is almost always the wrong way when it comes to parenting. And you cant always do the hard way. It's a catch 22 I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm TOTALY going to start using this.

    Think it will work on my 17 year old? :P

    Morganne will STILL do this thing where she decides she wants something (usualy something reasonable, like an apple) and then TOTALY Looses it when I fail to make an apple apear out of thin air.

    And yah, some times I just decide it's not worth the battle.

    But also, I sometimes reward with the "special" cup or plate or what ever. I know I have a "favorite" coffee cup, and I think, making sure to give her her favorite what ever (or ask, which she would prefer)is a way to teach her to appreciate her things.

    Also, she has learned that a polite, and well timed request ("Mom, can I please have the blue glass?" BEFORE I get the milk out) usualy gets what she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is too true Katey. I do try to give Daniel the one he wants if he asks nicely, so maybe he can get it, but it is when he wants the green plate and it is durty, so he can't use it, that I have to explain that and when he starts to wine, I have to say, you get what you get, and then explain to him what that means. Little by little he will get it right, if not now hopefully by the time he is 17, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete