Saturday, October 10, 2009

Responsibility

I have been thinking about this a lot lately, my own and others, and how we handle all the different responsibilities we have. It is wise to not take on more then you can handle, and helpful to those who are working with you because if you do take on more then you can handle, inevitably you wont be able to do it all, and those who work with you will have to pick up the slack. If you only take what you can handle, others will have to do the rest, but they will know what things need to be taken care of, instead of thinking you have it under control and finding out last minute it needs to be done. Also I think sometimes we take on more then we can thinking to prove something, but it hurts others when we do this, because ultimately we drop the ball. Some people look at others and say wow, look at all she can do and I can barely do.... (whatever). But I don't envy those who can do it all, well no one can, so I should say those who try to do it all. They are neglecting something, or someone, in their life. I know it is hard to balance life, I struggle with this all the time, but the biggest thing is not taking on too much to balance. A juggler who knows how to juggle 3 balls should not tell others he can do 5. If he does he might make it for a few minutes with five, but then the balls all come crashing down. The true character of a person is in what they do when all the "balls" in their life come crashing down. Do they turn to others for help picking them all back up slowly, do they grab them all up at once and start juggling five again, do they give up all together and walk away from all the balls, do they get depressed and do nothing until something or someone reaches out to them and puts one of the balls in their hands. Which type am I? Honestly, I am working on being the one who starts to pick them up again slowly with the help of others, however, I it is in my personality to want to do it all all the time, so I often am the person who picks them all back up and starts to throw again. Which type are you? Just think about it, you don't need to post it. This is getting long so those are my thoughts for today, unedited.

1 comment:

  1. I think another important part of this is discerning what must be done right now and what can wait. That is one aspect of enjoying the children at the age they are now because it goes so quickly and you can never call it back.

    Also, I think of "If you don't have time to do it right now, when will you have time to do it over?"

    ReplyDelete